Select Page

Can smart thermostats save me money?

Can smart thermostats save me money?

by | Jan 26, 2016 | 201 comments

Can a smart thermostat save me money?

Asked by: Sara C., Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Have your own question?   Ask The Expert  ›

Yes, we recently evaluated smart thermostats and found they can help you control your energy usage, and ultimately save money.

What is a smart thermostat?
A smart thermostat is smart technology that is connected to your home’s Wi-Fi and designed to help you control your energy usage, ultimately saving you money. It does this by providing you the option to monitor and control your home’s largest energy user right from your smartphone or tablet, wherever you are. All smart thermostats have a smartphone app available, which makes it even more convenient for you.

Smart thermostat benefits

Smart thermostats provide customers with a number of features, including the ability to:

• Check the temperature in your home from your mobile phone;
  • Turn the A/C on or off from anywhere, at any time;
  • Track how long your A/C runs;
  • Automatically adjust temperature settings based on your phone’s location or local weather; and,
  • Receive alerts if your home gets too hot or cold.

Also, because they are connected to the internet, smart thermostats will get even smarter over time as manufacturers make software updates.

Having these conveniences available via your smartphone can also save you energy and money. And, in this day and age, who doesn’t want to save some money?

Learn about smart thermostats

We recently tested two types of smart thermostats in South Florida and found that both saved energy:

1. Non-automated thermostats only change the temperature if you tell it to, either on-demand or by setting up an optional preset schedule; and,
  2. Automated thermostats observe your temperature preferences and after a learning period, program themselves.

Bottom line

Based on our research, single family homes saved, on average, 450 kWh per year or about $50.

At the end of the research conducted, our customers told us that they really appreciated the smart thermostat’s ease of use and convenience of this innovative technology.

With smart thermostats, you have the option to monitor and control your home’s largest energy user right from your smartphone, and that can definitely impact your electric bill.

More helpful tools for you

You can always see how adjusting your A/C affects your bill and find new ways to save by taking our Online Home Energy Survey. It works together with your personal Energy Dashboard to show you how much energy you use, down to the hour.

About The Author

Patrick Agnew

Patrick Agnew is FPL's In-Home Technology Program Manager. After working in energy management for 30 years, he believes the best is yet to come.

201 Comments

1. How do i go about getting a smart thermostat; i live in a senior appartment

2. Do you have a program that provides a discount on this item! If not you should!

3. how much does it cost?

4. The Smart Thermostat sound very interesting and something I would like to know more about.

5. Hello Mr Agnew,

My company is working on a hydraulic pump to turn generators used by utilities. Need to know the following.

Torque needed to turn generator and speed of generator needed.

Diameter of spline on generator.

Thank you in advance.

Sam

6. Quick question. I read in one of your monthly suggestions what temperature to set my thermostat. I will be leaving for some time and I have a programmable thermostat. What is your recommendation? Thanks
    Norm

7. Are there on and off peak kWh usage charges for residential customers?

8. we just had new thermostat put in. If I put temp at 80 and humidistat at 65 as instructed. The air comes on even though it is only 70 in condo. Does that mean the humidistat is broken?

• Usually humidistat overrides thermostat. That is, a/c will react first to humidity setting, not temp setting. Used in rainy season or other times when weather is cool but wet. For thermostat to have control, humidistat must be set to OFF position.

9. I cannot believe we are consuming over $200.00 every month of electricity. This is a 982 sq. ft apt. No washer and dryer, 2 adults working and one disable. Please I need to reverse my average of payment. This is not working for me. I haven’t use my a/c for 2 months and my payments are over 200.00 this is ridiculous.

10. I paid late for my outside light account. The late fee of $5.00 on the $11.32 bill is 44%. That is a usurious fee to charge. I would like to know how to protest and request a reduced, more reasonable late fee for the one I paid and going forward, as it is likely I will be late in the future. Do I need to contact the FL state utility commission? Thank you.