Select Page

Best A/C settings before going on vacation

Best A/C settings before going on vacation

by | May 27, 2016 | 169 comments

If we’re leaving for a weekend vacation, should we shut off the A/C unit, or leave it on?

Asked by: Paul F., Palm Coast

Have your own question?   Ask The Expert  ›

We get asked this question a lot, Paul. To save energy while you’re away for the weekend, there really isn’t one answer that fits all because there are a lot of factors to consider. For example, the time of year, location, size and type of home, etc. can all influence your situation.

Here are some suggestions:

• Close the shades, blinds and drapes to keep the sun’s heat out.
  • Raise the thermostat to 82 degrees or higher when you’re away so you’re consuming less energy. Just remember, it may take a few hours to cool your home back to your preferred temperature when you return.
  • For ultimate convenience and control, you may consider installing a smart thermostat, and preferably one you can adjust from your smart phone. This way, you’ll be able to monitor and control your home’s largest energy user right from your phone – wherever you are, and that can definitely impact your energy bill. Learn more about smart thermostats and the benefits they can provide by visiting our recent smart thermostat blog.

Additional summer vacation tips
If you’re planning to go on vacation for a week or longer, visit our summer tips blog for more information and tips on how to prepare your home.

Also, you can always see how adjusting your A/C affects your bill and find new ways to save by taking our Online Home Energy Survey. It works together with your personal Energy Dashboard to show you how much energy you use, down to the hour.

About The Author

Brad Goar

Brad Goar is the program manager for FPL's Home Energy Survey and Low Income Weatherization programs. With over 140,000 home energy surveys performed annually, FPL's Home Energy Survey is one of the largest utility run energy survey programs in the nation.

169 Comments

1. we are very comfortable when the thermostat is set at 78. upon going away for 4 days we set the thermostat at 80. It took over 6 hours of continuous running to get it down to 78. did we save any thing?

2. Florida is the “sunshine state” with that being said why why are there very few homes with solar energy?

3. Thank you for this service.

4. My light bill is over 300 dollars that is ridiculous. That’s like a bill a super market would get. I stay in a small 2 bed room 1 bath apartment. Which is so small it doesn’t have closet space. I keep my Ac temperature at anormal 75 degrees in the day and night 72 degrees. My apartment is about 500 feet. A 300 dollars bill wow that’s highway robbery. Can someone please help me with this matter and tell me why I am paying over 300 dollars a month for a small 2bedroom 1bath apartment. That I don’t even be there in the day time because I work.don’t come there until 10pm.the only energy I burn are my refrigerator and fish aquarium.other than that I don’t use no energy. I need someone to fix this matter asap.A 300 dollar light bill wow. Can anyone tell me that they are getting a bill over 300 dollars a month?for a small apartment with no closets.

5. I just purchased a Health Way air filter for the house. It is a DFS portable room air cleaner. They say to run it 24/7. Does this effect my bill a lot?

Thanks

6. Hello
    I need to have someone come and evaluate why am i spending so much electricity. My thermostat is at 78 and when I leave my apartment I have the AC @ 86 %. I live in a small one bedroom apartment I would like to know why is my bill so high like 175 dollars are they reading the meter of are they just doing just estimation could my meter be rigged by others or i am having air escape
    Can someone come to investigate this; I really need
    help I live on a fixed budget at 69 years old

7. What surge shield?

8. Does the same advice hold true if the vacation time is extended into several months, especially during hurricane season? Additionally, since power outages regularly occur during hurricane seasons, should the power be turned off if a hurricane is imminent?

9. I never was pay too much money like this bill,please check again .

10. Will my bill go up if I shut the air off during the day and only turn it on at night I’m not home at all during the day