Stay Safe this Fourth of July Holiday
The smell of barbeque is in the air and fireworks light up the night sky. At FPL, we’re excited to celebrate Independence Day and want to remind our customers to stay safe during the holiday. Here are seven tips you and your family can follow to stay safe this Fourth of July:
- Keep fireworks away from power lines. Stay at least 10 feet away from neighborhood power lines and at least 35 feet from larger high-voltage lines.
- With more drivers on the road during the holidays, always follow the Move Over Law. The law requires drivers to change lanes or slow down to 20 MPH below the speed limit when passing a law enforcement vehicle, utility crews or sanitation workers who are on the side of the road.
- Don’t leave your stove or grill unattended while cooking. It’s the leading cause of house fires.
- Use extension cords properly. Extension cords can overheat and start fires. Do not overload extension cords or attempt to plug them into one another.
- Keep electrical appliances away from water sources, such as the pool. Appliances used near water should be unplugged when they are not in use. If an appliance gets wet, unplug it and don’t use it until it has been checked by a qualified repair technician. Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFIs) should be installed on outlets near water sources.
- In case of an emergency, make sure you always have a working fire extinguisher ready and know how to use it. Use the “P-A-S-S” technique: Pull the pin on the fire extinguisher. Aim the extinguisher at the base of the fire. Squeeze the trigger. Sweep side to side until the fire is out.
- Call 911 to report dangerous or hazardous conditions. Stay away from a power line that has fallen and anything it may be touching, and report it to FPL at 800-4OUTAGE (800-468-8243) immediately.
Additional information is available at FPL.com/safety.
Your safety is very important to us. If this is a medical emergency, please call 911 immediately or go to your nearest emergency room. For non-emergencies, you can reach us during regular business hours via Facebook private message, or follow and message us on Twitter and one of our representatives will assist you. To report an outage, please call 1-800-4-Outage. Thank you and please stay safe.