Festive lights are a holiday tradition for many families. FPL wants you to have a safe and happy holiday season, so we urge you to take care when hanging and using them around the house. When decorating your home this year, FPL reminds you:
• Always check for overhead power lines and stay far away from them when decorating outdoors, especially when using ladders or working on a rooftop. Look up, look out!
• Don’t use damaged lights or cords – replace them! Discard any lights with broken sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections.
• If buying new lights, consider LED lights. They use a fraction of the electricity of standard incandescent lights and last much longer!
• Only use indoor lights inside and only use outdoor lights outside, following manufacturer recommendations.
• Don’t connect more than three light sets to one extension cord or outlet.
• Keep cords away from furniture and heavy foot traffic.
• Turn off lights when you leave home or go to bed.
Festive lights are a wonderful way to brighten our homes and neighborhoods during the holidays, as long as we’re careful when hanging and using them. Visit FPL.com/safety for more safety tips.