About "Ask the Energy Expert"
Tiffany Spence is an energy expert at Florida Power & Light Company. She’s conducted thousands of energy audits at homes and businesses, helping customers find new ways to make their bills even lower.
Your questions on energy-related topics can be submitted anytime to our Ask the Energy Expert blog. Just click here to submit your question, and if chosen, it will be answered here
Asked on: March 1, 2017 by William Z., Pembroke Pines
How much can I reduce my energy bill by joining FPL’s “On Call” program?
Saving money is on everyone’s mind these days. So, thank you, William, for asking about our On Call program. It’s easy and could save you up to $137 a year.
When you volunteer to enroll in On Call, you’re actually signing up to put your selected appliances “on call” to help us meet the energy needs of all customers during times of high energy usage. In exchange for your participation, you’ll receive a credit on your energy bill – even if we never turn off your appliances.
The ins and outs of On Call:
- Signing up for On Call is easy. Enter your billing address to see if you are eligible to participate
- We’ll call you to walk through the program options, its benefits and help determine which of your appliances are eligible for participation, like your water heater, pool pump or air conditioner
- Next, you’ll receive a call from an On Call contractor to schedule an appointment to connect a small energy-management device to the selected appliances
- In exchange for your voluntary participation and depending on the appliances you choose to enroll, you could receive a credit of up to $137 a year —even if we never need to turn off your appliances.
When you enroll in On Call, you can select the appliances and option that works best for you. There are two program choices – Cycle Option or Extended Option. These options determine:
- Which household appliances we’ll connect to the energy-management device
- How much you can save annually – up to $137 a year
- How long we can turn off the selected appliances
Option 1: Cycle Option – Central A/C and Central Heater Only
When you enroll in the Cycle Option, we can turn off your central A/C and central heater for up to 17.5 minutes per half hour within a six-hour window in the winter and eight-hour in the summer.
Option 2: Extended Option – Central A/C, Central Heater, Electric Water Heater, Pool Pump
When you enroll in the Extended Option, you can save even more! This option turns off your A/C and central heater for up to three consecutive hours, during a 24-hour period. In addition, you can also enroll your water heater and pool pump which could be shut off for up to four consecutive hours, during a 24-hour period.
*These appliances are listed under both the Cycle and Extended Options to show the total potential savings of enrolling all four appliances in the On Call program. Note, electric water heaters and pool pumps can only enroll in the Extended Option and would be turned off for up to four consecutive hours.
Save up to $137 per year. Enroll today.
Other ways to save
You may also want to take our Online Home Energy Survey and get a personalized savings plan with energy-saving tips and recommendations, including programs and rebates that may be available to help you save even more money. This tool works well with your personal Online Energy Dashboard that can show you how much energy you’re using by the month, day and even down to the hour.
Thanks again, William, for asking this question. One thing to remember – you can cancel your enrollment in the On Call program at any time.
Your safety is very important to us. If this is a medical emergency, please call 911 immediately or go to your nearest emergency room. For non-emergencies, you can reach us during regular business hours via Facebook private message, or follow and message us on Twitter and one of our representatives will assist you. To report an outage, please call 1-800-4-Outage. Thank you and please stay safe.